Well after a busy work week, I was in first thing Saturday morning to put in another day of work on my B. I was able to borrow an engine hoist for the weekend and brought in a friend for an extra set of hands in pulling out the drive train.
Following the original workshop manuals instructions, I removed the drive shaft and brought in the hoist to support the weight of the engine from above and a jack for the gearbox underneath. I removed the gear shift lever, the engine stay bracket and the gear box mounts and cross member, letting the end of the gearbox rest on the chassis cross member.
Then it was simply a case of unbolting the engine mounts and lifting the whole assembly out with the hoist while rolling the car back as we went along.
As you can see the engine has had a few modern conveniences added; a geared starter motor and a spin on oil filter attachment. Both will be replaced with correct equipment later on. This engine was a good runner, though as you can see she has a few minor leaks. I plan to give everything a proper cleaning/de-greasing, replace and seal all the gaskets and inspect everything along the way, then a fresh coat of paint and detailing.
After the engine was out I took some pics of the few remaining brake and fuel lines as well as the emergency brake cable, before removing them.
I also documented the rad and oil cooler assemblies that were removed before the engine. Note the original oil cooler hose support bracket that attaches to the generator mounting bracket.
In the meantime I've been plugging away cleaning and refurbishing all the various parts at home so they're all working and looking good for when the car goes back together...
It's a labor of love...
Until next time -
Classic auto enthusiast, upholsterer, coach trimmer, and fine scale modeler.