Well it's been a very busy month to say the least! I've been super busy with work in the classic car upholstery world, and filling many evenings and weekends with work on the MGB. But she's come a long way!
As you can see, she's just about done! I've finished off hooking up the engine, fuel, electrical, oil and cooling systems in the engine bay,
Here's some before and after shots:
Underneath, I hooked up the new emergency brake cable, bled all the brakes and clutch with fresh fluid, and installed the manifolds and exhaust...
I got a new SU fuel pump and installed it with a new 'Smiths Petro-flex' hose and finished hooking up the fuel system with the carburetors, throttle cable and choke cable..
I also finished the interior with all the window mechanisms, door panels, top frame and 'seat belts,..
before and after of the seats:
Then this past weekend, I had friend/co-worker Eric Cherniff come by for an afternoon and help me with setting the timing, bleeding the brakes, and getting the car started.
After some ignition and choke/mixture adjustments, she fired right up! Needless to say, It was an exciting and gratifying day!
Of course there's still lots of bugs and issues to tune and fix before she's ready for the road.
She has a few oil leaks that need addressing, and the radiator has a pinhole leak in the upper tank, so I'll have to remove and send that out for repair.
My new convertible top has yet to be installed too, and of course alignment, fine tuning the carburetors etc.
But, she's almost there!
It's been a wonderfully educational and gratifying experience to say the least.
I can't wait to get her out in this beautiful top-down weather and stretch her legs driving some of the amazing roads that Vancouver Island has to offer!
Until next time -
Another weekend of major progress on the B!
I came home from work Friday evening with a cherry picker that I was able to borrow for the weekend. I had already made plans with my neighbor John to help me install the engine Friday evening, so that's exactly what we did!
It took a few attempts to get the angle of the engine & gearbox right as we maneuvered it in place. I also had to remove the oil filter for clearance, and used a rolling jack under the gearbox to help lift it clear of the frame cross-member and level the engine as we guided her in place.
All in all, it went very smoothly! we got her all in and all bolted up without any real issues or damage.
With the weight of the engine now in place, I was able to use a jack to install the front coil springs and then the front wheels after cleaning and re-greasing the wheels and splined hubs.
The following days Saturday and Sunday, I continued rolling with the progress!
I had friends Richard Owen and Norman Thomas come by on Saturday to help me install my newly restored windshield. It was another tricky job that required lots of eyes and hands, but we got her in place with great success!
I then installed the Radiator, oil cooler, generator and all their respective hoses in the engine compartment,
I installed the gas tank with new rubber buffers in the straps and between the boot floor,
Then I finished off the boot space with the spare wheel, jack and hammer, tonneau bars, tonneau cover and boot covers - all original pieces in their original stowage bags.
There's not much else going on in the trunk of an MGB,
While I was at it, I test fit the tonneau bars, and then the boot cover and my NOS tonneau cover. They all fit, though the NOS tonneau cover will need some hot days in the sun to help smooth out some of the wrinkles it has after being folded in a bag for 50yrs,
There's more to come as the B gets closer to completion, stay tuned!
-I know I will be!
until next time -
Classic auto enthusiast, upholsterer, coach trimmer, and fine scale modeler.