I spent a few hours today fitting some new parts and details to the engine of my Mk1 MGB.
With only 41000 original miles on it before I pulled the engine out, it had a few minor oil leaks (which is pretty typical of a British sports car from the 60's), but she ran well and wasn't burning any oil or coolant. Evidence would show that it has had a new timing chain, thermostat, starter, and oil filter replacements in it's life.
A while ago I gave it a full exterior cleaning/de-greasing followed by a fresh paint job. I replaced most of the outer cover gaskets and seals without removing the head or pulling things apart too far. I refurbished the distributor, fan assembly, drain tap etc.
I did decide to find an original style oil filter assembly on e-bay because mine had been converted to a modern spin on type when I got the car. Today I put the NOS oil filter in place with all new seals and hardware.
I also replaced the plugs, wires, and wire tags with original Lucas suppressors. New points, rotor and condenser. New heater tap, side cover gaskets and seals, rocker cover seals and tags, and new rubber engine mounts.
Finally I fit a new clutch plate, carefully installed using the correct clutch installation tool.
With all that done, I feel confident that the engine should be good to go and hopefully won't leak. I still plan to replace the oil pan gasket when I hoist the engine for re-installation into the car.
The car itself is still waiting it's turn for metal and paint. Once that's done, it will be like re-assembling a big kit - just about everything else is freshly restored and ready to go...
As I'm sure you can guess, I'm very much looking forward to the re-assembly process!
Until next time -
Classic auto enthusiast, upholsterer, coach trimmer, and fine scale modeler.