This weekend saw a bit of progress on the B. On Sat I went in and refurbished a few more things on the engine. I removed the side covers, cleaned them and replaced the cork gaskets with new ones. I removed the brass drain tap from the side of the block and cleaned it up and I replaced the rubber engine mounts.
I also removed a few last components from the car to take home for restoration. The car is in line to have its metal and paint work done very soon. I've got her stripped right down to a bare shell except for the front and rear suspension. I wanted to keep her rolling still for easy transportation.
Once she goes in for paint, they'll be mounting the car in a rotisserie frame so I can remove the suspension at that time and bring it all home for restoration while the car is getting painted.
I removed the rear half of the steering column with the steering wheel, making sure to mark the exact location of where the column splines slot into the U-joint just beyond the fire wall. I then repainted the column and polished all the chrome, plastic and hardware. I also refurbished the column support brackets...
I also took some good pics of the state of the front and rear suspension currently.
As you can see the car has been well maintained and there is evidence of lots of replacement parts and re-painted components. The front coil springs and all the brake flex hoses, discs and pads are new, the swivel axles look like they've been done recently too, as well as the bump stops. I'll be replacing the tie rod ends and lower A-arm bushings though...
The rear suspension is about the same, it has new leaf springs, new rebound straps, new bump stops and new brake pads. Besides cleaning and refurbishing, I'll probably only be replacing the e-brake cable and carefully cleaning the paint off of the front and rear shock bodies as they should be bare aluminum bodies with black arms originally.
Until next time -
Classic auto enthusiast, upholsterer, coach trimmer, and fine scale modeler.